MM-017: Aerosmith – I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing

Happy Valentine’s Day everybody  :-).

Aerosmith Logo

Personally, I’m not really big on celebrations. I don’t have anything against celebrating valentine’s day or any other festive occasions for that matter. But I have always felt that valentine’s day is simply ridiculously overrated. It’s one of the biggest rip-off day in the year.  Everything that has got to do with the tradition of celebrating valentine’s day goes-up 200%.  If you can afford it, hey by all means go for it. Err..me not so rich!

Anyway, here in Malaysia, there’s a “Boycott Valentine’s Day” going on for the past few weeks. Young people especially, are asked not to participate in celebrating valentine’s day. It’s a form of social control that aims to address extreme social problems such as baby dumpings. We have a lot of those these past few years. I don’t see how boycotting valentine’s day is going to make any impact though.

Valentine’s day is just one day out of the year. And it is NOT a religious ceremony or celebration. It was an old pagan tradition that has mutated through out the ages and finally disguised itself as the “Day Of Love” for the hungry capitalist to reap. That is what valentine’s day is today. It was born way before Christianity was even conceived, so please don’t blame our Christian brothers for the vices that relates to valentine’s day. Besides, like everything else, vices and sins don’t need any special day to happen.

And in the Malay languagge, Valentine’s Day is officially translated as “Hari Kekasih” which literally means “Lovers Day”. WRONG!!!  Valentine’s Day = Hari Kasih Sayang. It is not only meant for “lovers” but to actually celebrate “love”. Love from a child to their parents etc. And than of course to make exorbitant amount of profit within a very short span of time. The dark side of capitalism.

Boycott-Valentine's-DayHave they really thought this one through?

I sincerely feel that if we want to boycott valentine’s day on reasons of curbing vice than why not also consider boycotting New Years Day or even our own National Day for that matter. Officially sanctioned parties and concerts everywhere, public transportation services goes into extended operation mode and to top it all, the next day is even a public holiday.

It’s immature and easy to put the blame on another religion for the wrongdoings of society. And commonsense begs the same questions to our own age-old innovations, traditions and superstitions. Are a lot of Malay customs and traditions in sync with islamic teachings? Hmm…Apologies, I digress.

Anyway, I have always felt that, you don’t need a special day to express your love for anyone. It can be done on any day. So rip-off day or not, boycott or not, I really don’t care. To bluntly put it, my take on it would be to quote ~ Phua Chu Kang “Use your blain, Use your blain!!” ( Use Your Brain! ) In malay “Guna Akal!!”. And I’d jump on any means if it can help me amplify my feelings for my loved ones.

So ya! in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I humbly dedicate this song specially for my other half. You have been a source of wonderful inspiration and strength. I humbly thank you for your kind participation in this journey of life. May we be blessed and prosperous for the rest of our life. There’s no candle light dinners, no chocolate gifts. Nada! Just the usual thing that I say to you. I love you babe! and don’t you dare reply with a “Thank-You” and wipe off that smile! Sing baby sing! Happy valentine’s Day and Happy MM everybody! Have a great week.

Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. Rules are simple. Leave ONLY the ACTUAL LINK POST here and grab the code below and place it at your blog entry. You can grab this code at LadyJava’s Lounge Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

33 Responses to “MM-017: Aerosmith – I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing”

1. Liz says:

Namz, I so love this song. :) Happy Valentine’s Day!

2. Maria @ LSS says:

Great pick! Happy MM.

3. star says:

Hi Namz, i am not used celebrating valentines day, because I believed that you can show your love everyday to your love ones, you can make all day as special in saying I love you to your dear one.

Anyways, I really really love the song…heheh… though my voice is not good, I sing it loud…heheh..Happy MM!!

• Namz says:

Ditto to that Star. I believe as long as you breath, everyday is a special day. :)

Sing it Star! Sing it as LOUD or as soft as you need. Just sing. Happy MM! Have a great week.

4. Great pick (though personally I prefer Aerosmith’s earlier tunes), but this one is a nice hit too.
    Love your message as well.
    So, happy MM and have a great Valentine’s. :)

5. I don’t need a day created by businessmen to fleece money out of people to let my girl know I love her. I show I care every day…well I try too.

Anyway, nice song and have a great week…

6. BB-Joel says:

Boycott Valentine’s? Scrooge in February. Let’s continue to spread the love. Love this song. Happy Valentine’s , Namz!

• Namz says:

Yup, let’s continue to spread the love and Music Monday is a great vehicle for it. Please ignore the boycott thingy. Seriously a total waste of brain cells :p

7. LAPP-Joel says:

Happy Valentine’s and I hope you have a romantic week.

8. LadyJava says:

ahahahhaha.. boycott V-Day? You’re right why not boycott every celebration for that matter.. birthdays.. anniversaries… national day…. like you say.. Namz.. total waste of brain cell.. and yeap.. i want my SO to show me he care each and every day coz loving is not made for just one day…

Anyway.. i love love love this song.. i fell in love with my hubby because of this song.. so it’s kinda our song too…. lol!!!

Am sure your other half is having a BIG GRIN on her face now.. lol!!! wipe indeed!

9. Clarissa says:

Gosh,I soo love this song from Aerosmith!We don’t need an event/celebrations to show our love to our loved ones.We can show ’em that we love ’em everyday!^_^

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your girl,Namz!

• Namz says:

How very true Clang.

Love is eternal. Love is not a comodity for sale, Love is not a mass demonstration, it is a personal and sincere commitment :)

10. Gina Alfani says:

Happy Valentine’s Day! I love this song and your post was awesome. I think that Valentine’s Day is a beautiful day to celebrate love . . . it does not have to be commercial to be special. To boycott the day would be boycotting the sentiment of the celebration of love . . . not just romantic love. Love is special in all its forms!

Thanks for visiting!

Have an awesome day . . . Gina

• Namz says:

I am very happy that you feel the same way :)

11. Dazediva says:

this is one of my all time favourite songs :) such a classic !!
    and I love your post btw … V-Day is definitely over-rated and has become a highly commercialized day where the same products jump prices by 200% !! it’s a bit nuts !!! shouldn’t ‘love’ be celebrate any day, any time, any where ? You should check out my post ‘PS It’s Valentines Day’ – would love your views on it – and you should definitely share this post link on there !

It’s really cute that you and your other half have this song as one of ‘your’ songs :)

• Namz says:

It’s mine too :) Thanks DD. I’ll definitely check-out your post and leave a link.

12. i totally agree with ur points Namz. u don’t have to wait for the one day of the year to express ur love to ur loved one… anyway it’s all about personal choices hey!

& love the song, great pick Namz!!
    Happy MM to u !!! :D

• Namz says:

Love is eternal. Love is not a comodity for sale, Love is not a mass demonstration, it is a personal and sincere commitment.

13. Lily Arbee says:

I like this song. Happy Music Monday to you and all members. I have problems with my Broadband, very slow could not put up my MM yet. Now typing this comments in the office.
    Hopefully I can get a better line tonight. In a matter of time, I still got to re-register Streamyx.

14. Classic NYer says:

You know, there is every year a bit of a boycott “movement” in the US usually propagated by jealous bitter singles, haha. I for one never really got into the holiday whether I was single, married or attached. I used to tell my husband “Look, I loved you yesterday, and I’ll love you tomorrow. What makes today special?” but he always wanted to go out and celebrate so I was like “sure, why not?”

I love your song choice, btw.

• Namz says:

LOL, Sure, why not :).Cool, very conservative of you.

The boycott thing here didn’t really make any difference anyway. Young people are avoiding it simply because of economic reasons.

I guess it has lost it’s novelty. Capitalism killed Valentine’s Day :(

15. yaya says:

this song make me remain someone special in my heart untill now, even the person already leave me :(

and the special part in our relationship, we break on 14 february 2 years ago.

For sure i cant forget.

16. Tawna says:

Blog hopping today and am your newest follower. I hope that 1 of my blogs interests you too.

I also do a weekend blog hop, you can link up on tawnasplan.blogspot.com open every Friday-Sunday!
    Thanks
    Tawna

Komen di dalam Bahasa Malaysia juga di alu²kan, sudi²kanlah diri..